M.Ed. - School Counseling
Applicants must have completed at least a bachelor’s degree prior to applying for admission to the Graduate School.
The M.Ed. in School Counseling is intended primarily for those wishing to be school counselors.
- 3.0 GPA on cumulative record (all courses) prior to admission.
- SPED 5320 Spec Ed-Historical Legal Basis is an additional prerequisite requirement, but may be taken after admission to the program. Successful completion of an alternative certification program also meets prerequisite requirements but you still need to complete SPED 5320 Spec Ed-Historical Legal Basis.
- Teaching experience is not required prior to applying.
- Students must successfully pass a background check to complete the practicum/internship requirement. Additionally, a background check is required to be certified as a School Counselor in the State of Texas.
School Counselor Certification Requirements
In addition to completion of the 48 hours master's degree program, a student must also have the following:
- Valid Texas Teaching Certificate.
- Two years of classroom teaching experience in an accredited public, private, or parochial school approved by the Texas Educational Agency (TEA). Note: Teaching Certificate not required if the two years experience is in an accredited private or parochial school
- A passing score on the Texas Examination of Educator Standards (TExES) for School Counselors.
|School Counseling Program|
|EDPC 5310||Applied Research Design for Ed||3|
|EDPC 5317||Human Growth and Development||3|
|EDPC 5320||Lifestyle & Career Development||3|
|EDPC 5321||School Counseling||3|
|EDPC 5324||Ethic, Legl/Prof. Issue/Cnslng||3|
|EDPC 5332||Prog Eval in School Counseling||3|
|EDPC 5333||Crisis Counseling||3|
|EDPC 5335||Prin of Appraisal & Assessment||3|
|EDPC 5338||Group Counseling||3|
|EDPC 5339||Techniques of Counseling||3|
|EDPC 5341||Theories of Counseling||3|
|EDPC 5345||Abnormal Human Behavior||3|
|EDPC 5346||Counsel Multicult/Div Popula||3|
|EDPC 5362||Cnslng Chldren, Adlscnts & Fam||3|
|EDPC 5368||Play Therapy||3|
|EDPC 5369||Prctcm for School Counselors||3|