The certificate in Leadership Studies is an interdisciplinary non-degree program. Our commitment is to continue building a culture of leadership in the El Paso del Norte border region. The graduate certificate will help students to become leaders who are resilient and adapt quickly to change; leaders with a global vision but protective of their local community; leaders who understand complex systems and work with others who do not have the same priorities that they do, and individuals who lead a massive systemic change with a different perspective that requires equity, diversity, and inclusivity.
All students take core leadership courses covering the topics of contemporary leadership theories, concepts, principles, and practices. The program of study for the certificate in Leadership Studies has a research and practice format. The graduate certificate is designed for those who aspire to be leaders and full-time working professionals interested in career advancement. Because of its interdisciplinary nature, the certificate complements any field of study or profession, and it fosters the development of leadership in scholarship and in the workplace.
- An official transcript, with the four-year baccalaureate degree posted, from the degree-granting institution and copies of transcripts for all other relevant upper-division and graduate work at accredited U.S. institutions or equivalent work and degrees at foreign institutions.
- Statement of Purpose
For graduates from institutions outside the United States where English is not the first language, the graduate school requires a minimum score on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Please consult graduate school website for required scores,
- The Graduate Certificate program offers the same classes as the MA in Leadership Studies program.
- Serves as a stand-alone certificate for students not seeking the commitment of a full master’s degree.
- We offer both online and hybrid (face to face) courses.
- Students can take their courses entirely online, or in class, or do a combination of both.
- Requires a total of 18 credit hours (6 courses) to complete the program.
- Students are required to take all 6 courses. No transfer credits are accepted.
Required credits: 18
|MLS 5300||Contemp Concepts of Leadership||3|
|MLS 5315||Org Theory and Behavior||3|
|MLS 5326||Leadership-Organizatnl Change||3|
|MLS 5331||Leadership Communications||3|
|Choose two course below:||3|
|Applied Research Methods|
|Leadership in Complex Org.|
|Team Based Leadership|
|Ethics & Leadership-Capstone|
|Lead. in Diverse Cultures|
|Lead. Sports, & Comm. Engage|
NOTE: As several of the Graduate Certificate Students we have had already a Master’s degree, the research method course adds no new skill set. Therefore, we choose to replace the MLS 5303 Applied Research Methods with the MLS 5326 Leadership of Organizational Change as it provides a better perspective on how to navigate and adapt to change within the organization. Finally, for those students who do no have a Master’s degree, the MLS 5303 Applied Research Methods course is still available as an elective.